Monday, October 6, 2008

"I'm not taking a poll, but how does the election seem to be going around here?"
"I wish I knew," he said. "People aren't talking. I think this might be the secretest election we ever had. People just won't put out an opinion."
"Could it be they haven't got one?"
"Maybe, or maybe they just don't want to tell. I remember other elections when there would be pretty peppery arguments. I haven't heard even one."
And that's what I found all over the country---no arguments, no discussion.


---from 'Travels With Charley' by John Steinbeck

1 comment:

Rae Stabosz said...

Wow. Good quote, Reetie! And scary. This is an unsettling time. A time for holding to an open and penitent heart. A time for trust in Goodness, Truth and Beauty. A time to hold on to Love, because the light seems to be dimming in this country. Hopefully it is the darkness before the dawn.

Mom