Monday, August 25, 2008

"Calpurnia appeared in the front door and yelled, "Lemonade time! You all get in outa that hot sun 'fore you fry alive!" Lemonade in the middle of the morning was a summertime ritual. Calpurnia set a pitcher and three glasses on the porch, then went about her business. Being out of Jem's good graces did not worry me especially. Lemonade would restore his good humor."

---To Kill A Mockingbird


It sounds like Cal really had a nice routine going. My Grandmother raised her six children with the help of a German girl. Every morning she would come over and work with my Grandmother on the laundry, cleaning and child care. I remember asking her how she managed the expense of domestic help, living off of my Grandfather's military pay. Her response was this: "Every southern woman has money in her budget for good help."

1 comment:

Rae Stabosz said...

Wow, I never heard that one from Mother! Excellent. I can just hear her saying it.

Mom