Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Tis the Season














Tis the season for what, I might ask. The stark wind and cold complements the month of December well. Keeping the wood stove going is a welcomed break from the other tasks at hand, those of fulfilling the Christmas requests. There's the remote control monster truck (gas powered? really?), the board games and the DVDs, the gift cards to the mall. In our household, Santa brings each child three presents and a stocking. Simple, but complicated still. This all requires planning, insight, saving and spending.

My husband's task of wrapping the presents helps, as well as him offering the eventual shoulder to cry on. He shares solace and humor, comfort and wisdom. He reminds me to relax. I remember that while I am out there shopping, he is outside working, in the wind and cold, often high up in a tree, with both a pole saw and a chainsaw snapped onto his harness. Now, which task presents a greater challenge? They are probably about the same. I seek to streamline the holiday experience, and add a finesse and grace as I execute my tasks. We are an American family celebrating an ever changing tradition.

There are some traditional Christmas characters that are new to me this year: The spritely angel Christkindl, the dark goat creature Krampus, St. Nicholas' companion Knecht Ruprecht, and an old lady gift giver named Babushka. These days the flash mobs known as 'Santarchy' are rising in popularity. How's that for modern tradition?

1 comment:

Rae Stabosz said...

I'm sorry to hear that the tradition of Stabosz mom anxiety over Christmas has passed to the next generation. How difficult it is to remain centered during this provoking season of meeting the expectations of kids & others this time of year. It's easier with grandchildren instead of children, but still the anxiety lingers.

Your Top 10 list to me was a highlight of my celebration. I showed it to Dad, and he beamed... yeah, really, sometimes he beams.

You know what another good thing about being Catholic is, come to think of it? That the Christmas season proper BEGINS on December 25, when all the hard work is done! It ends on either the feast of St. John the Baptist or the feast of the Epiphany -- whichever it is, Christmas last through at least the first week of January.

So Merry Christmas, beloved daughter, awesome mom of my beloved grandchildren! Let's all breathe a sigh of relief until next year!