Friday, June 20, 2008

Lonesome Wholesome Goodness

I made a box of muffins for breakfast the other morning. Typically, the kids squabble over who gets to add what, whose turn it is to mix and who gets to spoon the batter into the tin. For this lovely batch, I did it all myself. It was no easy feat, distracting them with orders like:

"OK, you guys can pour yourselves some drinks."
"Now, who is going to get out the jelly and a small spoon?"
"Sweetheart, could you set out the plates please?"
"I think we need a fresh stick of butter."

When it was all said and done, the breakfast was simple and delicious. I cut up some apples and sat back with a nice hot cup of peppermint tea. I ignored the soaking dishes, and I pretended not to notice that the floor was speckled with drifts of flour. A sweet calm surrounded me and a veil of acceptance draped over my shoulders like a pair of sparkling fairy wings.

As a mother, I will never escape this lovely cycle of nurturing. It is my one truly obvious purpose in life: to care distinctly for my offspring. As the female head of household I must remember, the soup that I make for my family is intended to nourish me as well.

2 comments:

Rae Stabosz said...

Like an alchemist, you turn the brass of everyday life into gold. Every mother knows exactly whereof you speak. Yours is a job of lonesome, wholesome goodness indeed. And your children will be all the better for the loving sacrifice you put into the doing of it. Your paycheck is a long time in coming, but it's a good one and well worth the wait. As they are worth the effort.

Liz said...

What are your kid's ages? I assume they are still little, or little-ish. Kids love to help, and you let them know that they helped without actually interfering. That is quite a trick, but you did it masterfully.